Saturday, February 16, 2013

the last question

I came across this sci-fi short story, The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. I just finished it and would like to respond a little bit on it.

Spoiler alert! I mean I'll try not to spoil anything...just go read the story first lol

I think it's beautifully written and weaved, the way Asimov did. The progression with the oneness of the question and mind worked out quite well because it reflects some common, yet unanswerable questions we have ourselves. I guess over the course of the different scenes I hoped for an actual answer from the AC but about half way through it's clear that it wasn't going to actually give an answer, because hey, we don't know the answer ourselves either.

An interesting part was anticipating how the characters from each scenes arrived at that question, and also how AC's answer varied slightly every time the question was asked. I feel like there is something in its wordings, but I don't see anything that really stood out. Maybe I'm just missing it >.>

In any case, however, the ending was the best part of the story. It tied everything together so perfectly and delicately. Best twist I've ever read in a long while.

Just go read it if you haven't, absolutely loved it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment