Tuesday, June 4, 2013

i want one too!

So I’m actually typing this up in word because apparently this 8am shuttle does not have wifi on it -___-

And since I won’t have too much free time to blog during work (at least I don’t think I will today), I decided to blog right now and then upload it when I get to work


I think it was Sunday when a friend of my parents visited. They looked like a jolly family and such, but when I saw their 10 year-old daughter, honestly it became almost sad.
Her name is Stephanie and she already wears glasses. Medium myopia, actually, around 5. When she saw my brother with his facebook open, she asked him if that’s his facebook. I missed the rest of the conversation but I believe that she wanted to add him because, well, she most likely stares at a tablet or an ipad all day.

It is no doubt that everyone has benefited, one way or another, from all these technological advances that have drastically improved our daily convenience and how easily we can communicate with other people. But think back about a decade: smartphones were just about rolling out as the cutting edge technology, tablets were just getting started, with such limited varieties on the market. We see more elementary kids play in the playground than finding them looking down at their smartphones or tablets, talking to their friends on facebook, playing games there, on those tiny screens. And now, with these devices so popular and drastically cheaper than they were before, it is more than expected to beginning seeing kids owning these devices at such a young age. To an extent, it is beneficial in the sense that they can familiarize themselves with these technology early on in life, but they are hurting their eyes and their social life as well, and it bothers me.

Kids shouldn't be allowed to own these things at such a young age. I guess I’m saying that I will most likely not get my kids tablets and such before they’re like at least almost done with middle school. I don’t want my kid to be nearly blind by the time they get to high school just because they also want to talk to random people from facebook. Guess what, buddy, sometimes your facebook friends don’t mean a thing.

I will definitely try to not fall for the "I want one too" rant from them. 


Rant  over :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment