Tuesday, January 1, 2013

a jar of...

I started up the ignition, the car rumbled a bit as I feel the car coming to life. Sarah's sitting in the back, her seat belt on, with a little red hat and a pair of plastic sun glasses.

We started to head back home, and she was still looking at the sunset. The route back was along this river that leads out the city. The sunset fell right on the horizon over the river. It was truly breathtaking. Sarah's eyes rests on the descending sun until she wandered off to dreamland.

It was still before dinnertime when I pulled into the driveway. I picked Sarah up and left her in her bed. "I'll let her sleep for an hour as I get dinner ready," I thought. Looking around the room, the room was slightly messy. We left to see the sunset earlier when I called her from her room, and I didn't realize she had somewhat made a mess with all her toys lying around. I began to pick up her toys when some unfamiliar toys caught my eyes. There was also the box she had before the adoption that was opened in the corner of the room, so I figured that those unfamiliar toys were from that box. I felt it was better for her to leave her past behind, so I told her to keep the box in her closet. I guess she opened it anyways. She seemed fine, though, so I didn't give it more thought.

Among the toys and stuff animals, however, I noticed this small jar with some money in it. The jar had a label on it that reads, "To Buy Love" written in red crayon. It appears to have about two bucks from the weight of quarters and dimes and nickels and pennies.

My heart sank. What could have made her think of making this jar? I couldn't think of anything, so I simply went over to Sarah and gave her a kiss on her forehead before I went downstairs to fix up dinner. While there was no question about me asking her about her jar, I felt really uneasy and dread the answer she may give. I stopped myself from overthinking and planned my meal course instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment