Thursday, October 25, 2012

charlie

I'm gonna write a little about the movie I just saw. I'll try my best not to spoil anything. I'll do heads ups if I will be going into some potential spoilers.

Before anything, I thought it was funny how Emma Watson tried pretty hard to cover her British accent. She did a pretty good job, only a few slips here and there :)

----

Laughter, heart strings, and teary eyes reminded me once again how much I loved the book. The movie lived up to my expectations. As my friend pointed out, given that Chbosky directed the movie himself, the movie turned out extremely well. Some omitted events from the book were still captured in the main scheme of the film, some in different forms, some in more subtle  methods.

Like the book, the movie brought out deeper and more buried scheme of life. It's perhaps not the best representation of high school, but it's a story that hit on many many topics: relationships, love, trauma, loss of loved ones, guilt, the real world, coping, fitting in, friendship, acknowledging feelings, sense of belonging, living in the past, true characters, forgiveness, understanding.

A wallflower sees things, keeps quiet, and understands.

It's not listening to happy songs when you're sad; it's the choice to feel; it's letting happiness come to you; it's the choice to be sensitive; it's choosing reality over dreams; it's knowing letting go is never really letting go.

It's accepting the love we think we deserve.

Charlie is not everyone, and not everyone is a wallflower, either. As the wallflower, Charlie becomes the side of all of us that exists at many points in our lives. He's the person when we feel most invisible, some more often than others.

POTENTIAL SPOILER.

Not everyone has had Charlie's traumatic past, but the idea is that everyone has their own past to deal with, and that one's history has ultimately shaped their person as a whole, whether he has lost many loved ones before or that if she has lived and conquered a disease. Everyone's story is different, and it's only fair to realize those battles out there exist, rather than only your internal quarrels.

Charlie's relationship with Sam is a heartfelt and mutual one. It is worth noting that this is only possible when Sam sees what he been through wasn't just a bad grade in school or a bad friendship. Even though she doesn't know the entire story, it is clear that she knows that her approach needs to be sensitive. Same with Patrick (who is, by the way, my favorite character, both from the book and the movie). The two of them make the almost ideal thoughtful and caring friends one could ask for.

END OF POTENTIAL SPOILER. 

The story touches on a very important idea: love is independent of relationships. One fuels on expectations, while the other is the fuel. It's not relationships that we want, but simply love. Relationship itself has no meaning. Friends are not friends if you feel you can't be open with them. The only way to know if they are your friend is to open up slightly and see if they do the same. That's what Charlie does, Sam, and Patrick.

I think without these friends, you can't call other friends your friends.

Like Morrie says, love can flow just between two people, with words or silence.

I want to be able to be able to not talk about anything, heavy or light, to just be there together, and be enough.

I loved it. I absolutely loved it. It's no doubt one of my favorite movies now.


-h-

3 comments:

  1. Hey:) Didn't know if I should write this here or send you a message,but here it goes anyway. I haven't read the book, I thought the story was interesting, maybe it was a bit too much with his own aunt, I don't know. But that wasn't my main problem with the movie. I thought the acting was really reaaally bad especially during the first part of the movie. You could see that they were acting, it didn't come out naturally, and for an actress so well known, Emma Watson kind of let me down. Charlie -or well the actor who plays Charlie- didn't impress me much, but as you said Patrick is my favourite character -and actor to be honest- but even *he* wasn't that into his role at some points. I loved the soundtrack, Smiths, Bowie, good stuff, but I still couldn't get over the bad acting. Was it just my mood that day that didn't let me enjoy the movie to full extent or was it bad acting indeed?
    -Also, in your live traffic feed here on the side, Germany last week was me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'll touch on a few things that you mentioned.

      I actually have a different view on the acting. Let me explain why. Logan Lerman (Charlie) was the introvert kid with an awful past. Not only was his past messed up, he went into the "real" world by himself without anyone to communicate. Everything is new to him, even friends, on some levels. I think he played his role well as it was genuine, sincere, and you can see the gears turning in his head during incidents as I would expect. I think overall he did a good job, because playing such an introvert (and I guess I can say socially-inexperienced) character can be hard.

      For Emma Watson, I think it is due to the simple fact that she's so well known that created that effect--the feeling that she's just acting. I think she did her best, but like you said, she seemed like she was acting and I agree. I just don't think it's because she's bad at acting but rather the Emma Watson we know is different from the character Sam from the movie. I actually had a similar feeling when I saw Daniel Radcliffe in the movie The Woman in Black. I was like, "yea...now that he is already known for the role Harry Potter, almost anything different he does from now on will make me feel like he's acting." I don't know about you but that's kinda my take on it.

      For Patrick, he's the flamboyant senior who is also hiding secrets. This role is actually harder to appreciate if you don't how a character like that can put up shows to cover himself. It's not so much he wants attention but more of a strategy to shift people's focus on him to the outside than the inside. When you take that into account, he's essentially acting an acting character. There might have been instances where he acted more poorly, but I think Patrick's character may have a big role in that.

      Soundtracks, though, definitely. I don't even need to talk about it. :3

      I just personally really liked it :P

      Oh Germany? How's Germany? :)

      Delete
  2. Germany was fun, i made friends with people from my course through many nights of drinking together, we got to see some cool buildings, do some sketches, mainly do something different. You know how I love traveling, so I loved spending a week there, different places, different people, it was nice.
    About Emma Watson, maybe you're right. About Patrick, I was just talking about a couple of lines in the movie that seemed completely fake. About Charlie, again you're probably right, but I guess I needed something more from the main character:P

    ReplyDelete