Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sopa

A friend of mine posted on my fb wall with a link to an article that says Wiki will initiate a "blackout" in protest of SOPA, starting in about 12 hours from now. 


I must say, I have slightly anticipated such action from at least some websites, and judging from wiki's blackout (for 24 hours starting at 05:00 UTC on Jan 18th) we can very clearly see the impact of SOPA if it were to pass. For beginners, not just wiki would be affected, but also major sites such as youtube, blogs, tumblr, images sharing sites, social networks, and even search engines. 


Yes, piracy poses a problem to copyrights and that is what they're aiming to shut down with SOPA, but again their proposals are too broad to narrow down piracy and would altogether bring down the internet as it is. Given the current piracy technologies, if you will, there is almost nothing you can't pirate these days. Nevertheless, I think there are other ways of preventing piracy if that's their main goal, just not SOPA. 


I'm not altogether too worried about SOPA being passed as it seems to me that most individuals realize the extend and the power of SOPA in destroying the internet itself, and not just piracy. 


I shall wait and see my own reaction to a Wiki-less wednesday tomorrow; it's gonna be very interestingly frustrating. Haha. 

2 comments: