Saturday, November 10, 2012

the power of human touch

What is a hug?

Actually, what is a good hug? How much can a good hug mean?

It's when someone puts down everything in his/her life, at that very instance-- especially the bad, upsetting, heartbreaking, and judgmental--to hold you, your soul, your heart, your life, your identity, and your very being, with his/her best self and existence. At that instance, it is just two souls, two beings, holding each other, treasuring the existence of the other.

What comes after is even more beautiful: their very self begins to flood into your mind; who they were, are, and will be; the fact that you wanted to give them a legitimate hug means you want to show them how you love them in whatever way you do, how much they mean to you, etc. As who they are begins to solidify in your mind, you give them a little squeeze in the hug (like a hug of a hug) and/or a little back rub.

The first part happens probably within 1-2 seconds. The second part can be longer. Of course, a longer second part / hug becomes cuddling....yep.

A hug is so powerful because it represents a mutual acknowledgement and relationship between two people. It is the bridge through which love flows.

Then again, hugs are a way of showing love. There are plenty of other ways to, but personally, I think a hug is the most powerful way. It is the willingness to open up yourself to the other and share your heart with the one you love. It is simply the power of human touch: it not only reassures one's existence, but also strengthens it by showing that someone else treasures it, that someone loves them.

I'm not saying people who don't like hugs are terrible people, nor am I implying anything negative about them. I know a few people who are generally uncomfortable with human touch, but I still give them small hugs from time to time.

I think it's really sad how the last good hug I had...was the most heartbreaking hug I've ever felt in my life--because it was the hug just before you threw me away.

So yea, I guess I need a good hug too.

But before that, give Donkey a hug!

(Friday night rant over)

No comments:

Post a Comment